- Written by Winna Published: 03 January 2016
Green Chilli Chicken recipe is not for the faint hearted. If you love spicy food and chilli, this dish is irresistibly delicious once eaten and will make you keep wanting it.
This Indonesian dishes originated from West Sumatra, Indonesia and when in Indonesia you can find this mostly any Padang/Minang restaurant in Indonesia which is usually can be found in most parts of Indonesia.
PREP TIME + COOK TIME
15 mins + 45 mins
What You'll Need
- 1kg chicken durmmettes/wingettes
- vegetable oil, to deep fry the chicken
- 12 green chillies
- shallots/pickling onion (4 if big, 6 if shallot's size are big, 1-2 if you are using onion)
- 1 green tomato, or red if you cant find any green ones, cut into wedges
- 2cm ginger, sliced thinly
- 2 lemongrass
- a few of kaffir lime leaves (optional)
How to Make It
|Step 1|| |
Rinsed the chicken, then squeeze lime/lemon over it, then sprinkle with salt. Mix well. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
|Step 2|| |
Pound roughly the green chillies (we dont want it to be like a paste)
|Step 3|| |
Pour oil into a wide frying pan, then deep fry (or shallow fry, if you prefer) the chicken drummettes and wingettes until browned. Set aside.
|Step 4|| |
In the meantime, heat another frying pan, and pour vegetable oil. Stir fry the sliced onion until wilted, then put in the ginger and the chillies. Cook until the chillies wilted and have a taste. I usually cook it for a very long time to calm down the heat of the green chillies (so it wont be too spicy). Add salt to your liking.
|Step 5|| |
Add lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves to the mix. When it becomes aromatic, add in the fried chicken and the tomato. Mix well.
|Step 6|| |
Serve with a lot of rice.